Monday, October 8, 2018

A Professional Development Day for Teachers

Today at School we had a "Day for You" professional development day at my school. After seeing a post by Cassie Stephens: 
https://cassiestephens.blogspot.com/search?q=professional+development+for+teachers

I offered to my principal to do this for our teachers. She turned our professional morning into a Wellness morning, teachers were divided into 3 groups and rotated through an Art project, a Family and Consumer Sciences experiment and a PE physical wellness activity. 

I began the morning by setting up my classroom for the project
 As teachers came in I showed them a brief Prezi presentation 
https://prezi.com/view/K3vCJj2Fu8yQJnO1cI8Q/

I told them they would be creating an abstract work of art. As that dried, they would be thinking of a simple sentence that describes why they teach. We talked about some people have good days and bad days, sometimes in education, you have a bad year... but there is a reason that you keep coming back.

I said that reason might be July... or maybe its about relationships with students, or maybe a love of the curriculum.. whatever the reason, you always have a reason! 

After they painted their abstract background, they either wrote, painted or printed their why onto their painting. I didn't have any complaints, other than the occasional "I can't paint" to which I replied, you CAN! Anyone can paint an abstract work of art because it doesn't have to be anything!

The teachers seemed to have a good time doing something they never get to do!































Thank you Cassie Stephens for this fantastic idea, I had so much fun with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment