Friday, September 21, 2018

8th Grade Plaster Masks

I try to start 8th grade off with an exciting project. They dive right in with plaster masks!

First we view a prezi about masks, and discuss some of the possibilities. 

 http://prezi.com/kgrhwxzcev-n/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy

After some discussion, and the presentation, students are given a brief demonstration via a youtube video I created:


I have pre-cut plaster strips for the students to use, and I have Tupperware containers for the warm water. 
On the first day of mask making, students use the plaster strips on a plastic mask mold. Their name is on masking tape on the back of the mask.

I tell them they need to have at least two base layers. 
After day one, when the base is complete and dry, I tell them the requirements of my project. They must attach one thing or alter the base in at least one way. That is my minimum requirement. They can design any kind of mask they want, but their design must meet my minimum requirement. 

They design their mask in their notebook, some students choose to utilize their own device to search for inspiration on the internet. 

After they have a finished sketch, they approve it with me and begin with the next stage in the process, adding whatever they need to complete the design. 

Once things are added, they utilize more plaster strips to complete their mask base. 

Lastly, they paint their mask when it is dry. I am always amazed at what they come up with, it seems clowns are popular this year. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment