Friday, December 8, 2017

7th Grade Watercolor Silhouettes

7th Grade... my nemesis. I love them, I really do, but they are not interested in anything but themselves and their friends. Art? Whats that? I do not exist in their realm of knowledge! 

Seriously though, they are like the spoiled middle child.. they are never happy no matter how much time and energy I put into their projects, its never good enough. 

I have to look for projects that do not take a lot of time or they lose interest. This project is perfect for them, it takes place over 3 days- one for learning and experimenting, one for painting with watercolor and one for painting with tempera.

All in all they create two paintings, one objective and one non-objective. 

 

Day one: Material distribution and beginning stages: dividing their paper for the 10 watercolor techniques I show them.
Each table gets a box with the necessary materials (they get their own water cup, paint brush and papertowel)

They are given their watercolor paper and a roll of masking tape, and they watch this video I made:
After they separate their paper, they watch another video I made and practice the techniques as they go along (I play one and pause to allow time for them to try it and so on) 

The outcome looks like this:


Day Two: they are instructed to complete two background paintings, one for the objective painting of the silhouette and the other for their non-objective painting. They must use at least two of the techniques they practiced. 

Day three: They choose a silhouette and for most I print it and they trace it onto their paper (remember my previous comment about them being the spoiled middle child..) they use black liquid tempera to paint their silhouette. While that is drying, they use the same black tempera paint to paint abstractly all over their second painting. Some are more creative than others, naturally.













Overall I was impressed with the outcome. I intend to display them by mounting them together onto a larger piece of paper. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment