Friday, October 13, 2017

Color Blending in 7th Grade

Let's face it, 7th grade is tough. They are the middle child of middle school, and on any given day they can be angels or devils. I have tried my best to find projects that will not only pique their interests, but will also keep their attention throughout the project.

Painting is always a hit with students. Well, most of the time anyway. This is a project that I do every year because it exposes them to using tempera cakes at the middle school level, (flash back to elementary school) and it teaches them about positive and negative space, as well as how to blend like colors. There are so many great lessons embedded in this one project.

I introduce to you, my organic shape puzzle paintings:

Students begin by drawing an organic shape. They then create negative space by drawing more organic shapes so that it looks like they would fit together like a puzzle if smooshed together. 

Next, Students trace their shapes with sharpie and are ready to paint. They learn about "like colors" and an analogous color scheme. They must use two colors of tempera cake paint in each individual shape and attempt to blend them together. 



I always feel like they look like stained glass :) In the past I have done them on 12x18 paper, this time it was 18x18.. next time I may try for something long and slender like 24x12. 

I hope you enjoyed our paintings! 


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I actually just used 90lb drawing paper. I told the students they needed to make sure they weren't painting over the same spot too much or their paper would fall apart. Because they are tempera cakes you could use watercolor paper but that might get expensive :)

      Delete
  2. I had my MS beginners (6-8) do this project. It was great! They were amazed at how the colors looked once the black was added. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete