Wednesday, January 17, 2018

8th Grade Manga Project

MANGA, MANGA, MANGA... it seems that is all I see in my classroom anymore. I love that my students are interested in a particular type of art, but I do sometimes get tired of seeing the same style over, and over, and over, and over.... HOWEVER, I decided to embrace their interests and use that to my advantage. 

I found a website www.faceyourmanga.com and did a little playing around. This site allows you to go on and create your own Mangatar... for FREE! There are, of course, options to pay for a full size mangatar, but there is no need for that, the thumbnail picture is big enough for students to look at and draw. 

First things first, we have to LEARN about Manga before we can create it. I made a ppt. for students to take notes on (as usual.) They copy the notes that are red as we review each slide. When I was researching for this project, I learned so much, who knew you read Manga right to left?!?

After we review the notes, I bring up the website on my projector, and show students the ropes. I also show them the few things that might be deemed 'not school appropriate' (you know how middle schoolers are, so we address it, and I make it known that I don't want to see any of it on their final product. In case you are wondering, there is a hand you can add holding a cigarette, a middle finger being held up, and a pot leaf you can add to a t-shirt- my principal decided that as long as I showed them these ahead of time that it was still fine to use the site) then we head to the computer lab and students are given a directions sheet: 
When the students are finished, I tell them there is a "save" option at the top of the screen. I have students send their mangatar to my email and that is how I save and print them for reference. 

After I print them I have them draw their mangatar on a piece of cardboard. Sometimes, it is nice to have them work on something other than just plain old drawing paper. 

After they draw their mangatar, I have them trace it with sharpie and begin painting with acrylic paint. 

I am always impressed with how much their mangatars do look like them! They have done such a good job, and its a double win- something they like, and something they can feel successful with. 








No comments:

Post a Comment